Pre Kindergarten Application
At this time, we are only accepting online pre-kindergarten applications. If you have a question, please call 704-866-6124.
to complete the online application.
Pre-Kindergarten 2020-2021 Information
Gaston County Schools has decided that Pre-K will follow the same blended learning schedule as K-12 students. This means students whose last name starts with A-K will attend on Monday and Tuesday of each week. Students whose last name starts with L-Z will attend on Thursday and Friday. Adjustments can be made on an individual basis to adhere to our ratios and family needs.
Our contracted private site programs may follow the public schools' schedule or they may offer a variation. If your child has been placed at one of our private sites, the school will tell you under which schedule they are operating.
In addition to the revised school schedule, we will not be able to provide bus transportation for our pre-kindergarten students this year (at least the first semester). Our transportation policy requires an adult to put the child on the bus and to remove the child. The social distancing requirements do not allow for this practice at this time.
In the letter you received about placement, you were told that your child’s teacher will contact you the week of August 10 to provide information about getting your child started in pre-kindergarten. Pre-K will start the week of August 31.
As a licensed early education program, we will follow strict for sanitation, cleaning, etc. If you’ve had a pre-kindergarten student before, things may look and feel a little different this year. Don't worry; we will guide you and your child through every step.
I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding as we have worked through these challenging times. No matter what, you have our assurance that we will take very good care of your children and provide them with a top-notch pre-kindergarten experience. Please be in touch if you have questions or concerns.
Thank you for your interest in the Gaston County Schools Pre-Kindergarten Program! Our program is part of the NC Pre-K program. The NC Pre-K Program is designed to provide high-quality educational experiences to enhance school readiness for eligible four-year-old children. The NC Pre-K Program Requirements are built on the National Education Goals Panel’s premise that to be successful academically in school, children need to be prepared in all five of the developmental domains that are critical to children’s overall well-being and success in reading and math as they enter school:
Approaches to play and learning
Emotional and social development
Health and Physical Development
Language development and communication
You may submit application in the following ways:
1. . (You can upload supporting documents or bring them to our office).
2. Print the application from the website, complete it, and bring it and supporting documents to Forest Heights Elementary School, #1 Learning Place, Gastonia, NC 28052.
3. Bring supporting documents to Forest Heights Elementary School, #1 Learning Place, Gastonia, NC 28052, and complete the application in our office.
4. Children registering for 2020-2021 must be: 4 years old on or before August 31, 2020 and a resident of Gaston County.
What to bring or upload:
1. The child's certified birth certificate.
2. Valid ID of parent/guardian registering the child.
3. Two proofs of residence documents (power, water, gas, cable, landline telephone, rent, or mortgage) or residence affidavit (Complete in our office. Bring the person with whom you live to do the affidavit.).
4. Proof income for parent/step-parent living in home with child (one month's worth of income is needed).
5. A completed health assessment (completed on or after August 27, 2019) and current immunization/shot record is required by the start of school. The will be available at Pre-Kindergarten office, the Gaston County Health Department, and at your local physician's office. A completed is also required to give to your child's teacher.
Please note that applying for Pre-Kindergarten does not assure that the child will be offered placement. There is limited Pre-Kindergarten space at each of the sites, so there is not room for every child who applies. Eligibility will be determined for each child who applies and those showing the greatest need for preschool will be placed first. (See the Frequently Asked Questions section for eligibility criteria.) Others will be placed on a waiting list. If your child is placed in a Pre-Kindergarten classroom out of your assigned public school attendance district, you will be responsible for providing transportation for your child to and from school.