- Gaston County Schools
Information about the reopening of schools
Board of Education approves Plan B for reopening of schools
On Monday, July 20, the Board of Education approved a reopening plan for our schools. The plan is in accordance with Plan B that has been outlined by the state and provides for in-person instruction for students on a part-time basis.
Students will be divided into groups. One group will attend school on Monday and Tuesday, and the other group will attend school on Thursday and Friday. All students will engage in remote learning at home on Wednesday and on the weekdays when they are not at school.
Additionally, parents who want their child in full-time remote learning will have that option through the Gaston Virtual Academy.
Parents/students and employees will be receiving specific information from their school about the reopening of schools.
to watch the Board of Education presentation.
Click here for our Plan B schedule graphic and our “Plan B at a Glance” chart.
Information about Plan A: On September 17, Governor Cooper announced that school districts have the option to implement Plan A for elementary schools (grades K-5) beginning Monday, October 5. Plan A includes “important safety measures like face coverings for all students, teachers, and staff, social distancing, and symptom screenings, but does not require schools to reduce the number of children in the classroom.”
During the Gaston County Board of Education meeting on September 21, the Board discussed Plan A, but did not move forward with implementing Plan A for grades K-5 on October 5, the earliest date that Plan A can be put into place. to watch the Board’s discussion.
However, the Board directed staff to formulate a plan that could transition elementary schools from Plan B to Plan A in a manner that ensures the health and safety of everyone associated with our elementary schools. A date for when Plan A could take effect for our elementary schools has not been announced. Therefore, all of our schools will continue to operate under Plan B for now.
■ Updates for Parents and Employees
▪ NEW SCHOOL YEAR: The 2020-2021 academic year is underway. School began on Monday, August 17. Click here to view the 2020-2021 school calendar.
▪ FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT: Click here to read Superintendent Booker's message for parents and employees with information about the reopening of schools.
Click here for a letter from Gaston County Schools and the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services with information about our COVID-19 protocol.
▪ RESOURCES: The N.C. State Board of Education and the N.C. Department of Public Instruction as well as the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services have released information about the reopening of schools.
for the “Lighting Our Way Forward: North Carolina’s Guidebook for Reopening Public Schools” document.
for the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit (K-12)" document. for the document in Spanish.
for the "Strong Schools NC Public Health Toolkit (K-12)" Frequently Asked Questions. for the document in Spanish.
for the "Reference Guide for Suspected, Presumptive, or Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 (K-12)" document.
for the "What Families Can Expect When Schools Reopen" document.
▪ INFORMATION ABOUT COVID-19 CASES: Click here to read a letter from Gaston County Schools and the Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services about our COVID-19 protocol. Click here for information about confirmed cases.
▪ HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS: The N.C. High School Athletic Association has delayed the start of the fall sports season. Our school athletic directors/coaches will keep student-athletes and their parents updated on any additional information or changes.
■ Visit these websites for information about the coronavirus
▪ Gaston County Government/Health and Human Services:
▪ N.C. Department of Health and Human Services: ▪ Center for Disease Control (CDC): ■ Coronavirus information hotline for Gaston County
If you have questions about the coronavirus, you may call the information hotline for Gaston County: (704) 862-5303. for more information about the hotline.